The lesson defines vocabulary terms for addition and subtraction problems. Examples are included to demonstrate which vocabulary word goes with each term in an addition or subtraction equation. The vocabulary words included are: addend, sum, minuend, subtrahend and difference. The lesson may be used in conjunction with other introductory math lessons.
Sample classroom Procedures:
- Begin by explaining to students that parts of equations have names, just like they do!
- While reading the content pages, reinforce vocabulary and give students additional examples of addition and subtraction term problems in order to help them practice the new words. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Introduce the notes on addition and subtraction terms. Have students practice problems saying and writing the new vocabulary. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Have students practice solving problems using their new vocabulary words.
- Follow Activity page with students. Have students work in pairs or small groups.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses as a class.
- Distribute the Homework page. Have students check their work at the beginning of the next class to reinforce the vocabulary.
- In closing, ask students to explain how they will remember the words.
- Allow for responses and discussion.
Common Core State Standards:
None for Grade 1
None for Grade 2
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1 class session
Many more teaching resources in Download!
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!